1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Towing Range?

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by Ram-In-PA, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Ram-In-PA

Ram-In-PA Member

I know these will likely be running the V-6 for initial release, so mileage should be close to matching the JLU I am guessing.

Has anyone seen any options for a larger fuel tank?

I tow a small single-axle trailer, mostly motorcycles/ATV's, and that kind of light stuff. But in my current Ram, I have a 32 Gal tank (was a $75 option) and can push a range of close to 500 miles. If these new JT's while towing will be getting at best mid-teen's in MPG, I foresee a LOT of fuel stops!

I did see on 1 Jeep video, that they made the spare tire space large enough to fit up to a 35", even possibly a 37" tire. Wondering if there is space under there for an optional larger fuel tank?

2. quietpeen

quietpeen Well-Known Member

I know you are talking about towing mileage, but on a pure mpg standpoint, with this coming with a V6 like you said I would imagine this gladiator would be a decent amount of weight lighter than the pig of a ram so mpg’s should be pretty decent

3. Ram-In-PA

Ram-In-PA Member

Maybe, but my Ram with the 5/7L gets mid-teens city and low 20's on the highway. Unloaded I can run over 500 miles on a single tank of fuel. I also have OE air-ride which lowers the Ram 1" at highway speed which does seem to help highway mileage.

I've never had a Jeep get anywhere close to that. Most any Jeep is as aero as a brick on wheels, then throw on a mildly loaded trailer and I'd be hopeful of even getting 15 on the highway with the JT. The diesel (if/when it comes) may do better, but I'm not a diesel guy.

4. quietpeen

Lol true but I always called the rams a brick on wheels

Nate4x4 likes this.
  5. Ram-In-PA

Ram-In-PA Member

True - thought these newer ones aren't so bad as the older ones.

These Jeeps push so much air due to being so non-aero, it was not uncommon to often replace windshields as they tend to get hit a LOT with road debris because eveything just hits it rather than flow over it.

6. quietpeen

Good point. I have never owned a Jeep so I have no past experience.....so the aerodynamic properties can be a huge factor that someone doesn’t even consider

7. NickGotExhaust

NickGotExhaust Well-Known Member

:rotflmao:

[​IMG]

Ram-In-PA, Nate4x4 and quietpeen like this.
  8. Nate4x4

Nate4x4 Well-Known Member

LOL